If you are looking for the best way to transfer from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands, you have come to the right place. The route to Malaysia’s biggest hill station takes you through some of Malaysia’s most scenic and diverse landscapes. You’ll experience calm rural life, lush rainforests, and stunning Titiwangsa range scenery.
Please take note this article is about a one-way transfer from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands. Tourists will stay in Cameron Highlands for a few nights before continuing their journey to Penang or returning to KL. For a day trip, please refer to this articles Cameron Highlands one day trip
About Cameron Highlands
Cameron Highlands is situated in Titiwangsa Range, a distance from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron highlands about 209 km or 3 hour’s drive from Kuala Lumpur. Last 20 years, the hill station has transformed from Malaysia’s premier farming area to a tourist orientation industry. The transformation is good for the local economy, but it is causing massive congestion during the long weekend and public holidays. Tourists should discuss with the local operators the best time to start the journey before making any booking.
Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands Transfer Options
The best way to transfer from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands really depends on your budget and time frame. Here, we will go over all the different options so that you can decide what is best for you.
Hiring a taxi from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron highlands is your best option if you’re looking for the best way to get to the hill station. Not only will you be able to avoid the hassle of public transportation, but you’ll also be able to detour* to Batu Caves and other tourist attractions, such as Cameron Valley Tea, along the way. Taxis in Kuala Lumpur are affordably priced and can be booked in advance online.
When booking, specify your detour destination and itinerary so your driver can tailor the trip to your needs. With a professional taxi service, you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride as you take in the beautiful scenery of Cameron Highlands.
* Detour service is not available during major public holidays and weekends
Taxi fare from Kuala Lumpur city center RM460 – RM500, all included.
- Fully customized pickup time
- Tourists can do detour activities such as visiting Batu Caves, Lata Iskandar waterfall, and Cameron Valley Tea.
- Perfect for tourists with children and small groups.
- Tourists must find a good taxi driver to utilize detour activities.
- The fare on the high side
- Not all taxi services accept Credit Card payment
For tourists with plenty of time to explore, transfer by bus from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands is an ideal way to visit Cameron Highlands. The journey to the hill station by bus takes around four hours. The bus journey can take up to 6 hours or longer during major public holidays and weekends. Remember to bring some water and snacks if you are traveling during that time. Two bus operators, CS Travel and Unititi Express provide bus service from Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS) to Tanah Rata town. Bus fare RM38 per person. The earlier bus schedule to Cameron Highlands starts at 0815am. The last bus departs at 1700pm.
Cameron Highlands Bus station is situated in Tanah Rata town, passenger needs to make a transport arrangement to their Hotel if your Hotel is situated outside of Tanah Rata town.
- The cheapest modes of transfer from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands
- The slowest method of transfer to Cameron Highlands
- Not suitable for diabetics and frequent urination patients, the bus only made one stop during the whole 5 hours journey.
- No detour option
By E-Hailing Car
The third option for Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands transfer is by using an E-hailing car. The service is ideal for couples with not much luggage. E-hailing is a short form of electronic hailing that allows users to book and pay for a journey using a smartphone app. There are about 28 E-hailing companies in Malaysia, such as Grab, Jom Rides, In Driver, and EzyCab.
Traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands by e-hailing car can be slightly more expensive than taking the bus or train but it would be more comfortable as the passengers would have more privacy during the journey. Do note that there will be an additional surcharge for this service during peak hours and weekends, so plan your Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands trip accordingly!
Fare around RM350 – RM500 without toll and depending on the car type.
- Reliable service, accept payment by card.
- Not suitable for big-size or tall passengers.
- The fare is similar to a taxi for tourists wanting better cars.
- Hard to book the car during rush hour.
- No detour option
By K.T.M ETS Train
Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands by train is impossible as there are no direct trains from Kuala Lumpur. However, there are a few options for getting to Cameron Highlands from Kuala Lumpur by train. The first option is to take a KTM ETS service from Kuala Lumpur Sentral Station to Ipoh and then take a bus or taxi from Ipoh to Cameron Highlands.
The second option is to take a train from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Kangsar and then take a bus or taxi from Kuala Kangsar to Cameron Highlands. The journey by train from Kuala Lumpur to Ipoh takes about 2 hours and 45 minutes, and the journey by train from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Kangsar takes about 3 hours and 15 minutes.
- KTM ETS train fare from KL Sentral to Ipoh Station – RM37
- KTM ETS train from KL Sentral to Kuala Kangsar – RM41 – RM56
- The train is a very comfortable mode of public transportation.
- Fare consider cheap
- Suitable for bloggers or small groups.
- Tourists need to get another transportation from KTM station to Cameron Highlands.
- No detour option
Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands FAQ
Which way is quickest from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands?
If you come from Kuala Lumpur, Melaka, and Johor Bharu, use PLUS North-South Highway until the Tapah intersection. Then, continue driving using Pahang road until you reach Ringlet Town.
How much does it cost to get from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands?
It entirely depends on the transportation you will use. For example, a self-driving return trip cost about RM150 for petrol and toll. For using public transportation the cost as below
- Taxi fare – RM450 – RM500 nett
- Bus Fare – RM38 cost not inclusive of traveling from your Hotel to/from the bus station
- Train Fare – RM37 – RM56 does not include traveling cost to/from the train station
How to get from Cameron Highlands to Kuala Lumpur?
Tourists can get a bus or taxi service from Cameron Highlands to Kuala Lumpur.
If you’re looking for the best transfer mode from Kuala Lumpur to Cameron Highlands, make sure you plan ahead. The route is filled with beautiful landscapes and plenty of things to see and do.